In a statewide effort to improve public safety outcomes and reduce recidivism, Governor Larry Hogan and his Crime Control and Prevention Office announced earlier today that eleven awards totaling $1 million have been allocated to various counties across Maryland to establish or improve pretrial services.
The Pretrial Services Program Grant Fund was established during the 2018 legislative session of the Maryland General Assembly to assist counties in the development, implementation and improvement of pretrial service programs. The goal of these pretrial services programs are to provide additional options to local courts, reduce recidivism and improve case outcomes for defendants.
Consistent with the goals of the Governor’s Justice Reinvestment Act, which encourages the safe reduction of detention populations and reinvestment of savings into further reducing crime; the grants will help local jurisdictions respond to rises in pretrial detention by arming judges and court commissioners with evidence-based risk assessments, new monitoring technology and case management staff to handle referrals for substance abuse and mental health services.
The 11-grants awarded today will establish new pretrial programs in four counties, bringing the total of pretrial services to a total of fifteen Maryland counties; while seven counties that already provide pretrial services will receive funding to bring their programs in line with a statewide standard that incorporates best practices.
“We worked closely with counties to incorporate national and local best practices that would result in consistent outcome measurements across the state,” said GOCCP Executive Director V. Glenn Fueston, Jr. “We received nearly $1.3 million in requests for new and existing programs, and we were able to fund a majority of the requests.”
The eleven counties receiving the funding, and how much they received, are as follows:
- Anne Arundel County Dept. of Detention Facilities – $94,255.00
- Calvert County Board of County Commissioners – $109,477.00
- Cecil County Sheriff’s Office Law Enforcement Facility – $94,051.00
- Dorchester Community Partnership – $29,250.00
- Howard County Department of Corrections – $165,546.00
- Montgomery County Department of Correction & Rehabilitation – $130,000.00
- Prince George’s County Department of Corrections – $48,712.00
- Somerset County Detention Center – $95,825.00
- St. Mary’s County Detention Center – $57,252.00
- Washington County Detention Center – $125,386.00
- Wicomico County Department of Corrections – $50,245.00
You can find out more information regarding the Pretrial Services Grant Program here